Reg: replacing new lun in lvm

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 12:12:41 UTC 2009

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 7:45 PM, Kannan, Mouli
<Mouli.Kannan at tui-infotec.com>wrote:

> Dear All,
>

> I have an doubt, let me explain abot my server...
>
> I have 100gb lun which is mounted. Ist have only 30 gb data only.
>

> I would like to replace 50 gb new lun for the 100gb lun. Is it possible
> to do it online. Please tell me the procedure.
>

> Thanks ,
> Mouli kannan N

If you are using LVM then yes it should be possible.  Assuming that you are
using LVM and your lun is presented to the host from a SAN or a machine that
has an extra 50 GB to create a new lun and present it then what you can do
is create the new 50GB lun, present it to the host and then get the host to
see the new lun, etc... Then you should be able to add the new drive as a PV
(Physical Volume) in LVM, once it is a PV in LVM add it to the same VG
(Volume Group) of the existing lun. I don't know the commands off the top of
my head but you should be able to tell LVM that you are removing the PV that
currently hosts the lun data and you want it to move onto the new lun. I
don't know the commands off the top of my head but that's the jist of it. If
you don't have LVM I don't think this can be done online.

Romeo Theriault
System Administrator
Information Technology Services