Using quotas/lvm's to isolate application disk usage

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Tue Jun 16 06:17:18 UTC 2009

Thank you for your reply.

Our application areas are typically accessed by the application itself, plus
a small number of admins. So maybe quotas is the way to go, and leave
LVM-ing out of the picture. But could you please elaborate some more on your
thoughts regarding LVM-ing versus LVM-ing+quotas versus quotas? I'd like to
understand more about the pros and cons of the different approaches.

Regards not placing quotas on /var: I do see your point about letting the
apps log as much as they need. For servers with plenty of disc capacity this
is clearly an option. But I'd be much more comfortable with having some
control over /var, so that one misbehaving app would not be able to take
down other apps by filling up the /var partition. Is this where your cron
job fits in the picture? What kind of script are we talking about?

Kenneth