A question on SAN training

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Thu Jun 18 18:07:20 UTC 2009

Chaim Rieger wrote:
> mark wrote:
>> Being "between positions", I see a lot of jobs that want SAN experience. With
>> the exception of my last contract (and I didn't get to do any administration
>> there, just point to datastores for VMware boxes), I've never really worked
>> with them.
>>
>> Now, I went over to NetApp, and see that they offer training and certification,
>> and that their certs, unlike the usual $800 or $3,000, are $120 or $150 each.
>>
>> Opinions on whether it would be worth my time and money to get one or two of
>> those? Would they make me more salable?
>>
> hi there
>
> i am certified in everything netapp, have taken just about every class
> they offer.
>
> i would go for the Boot Camp class,

How much does it cost? I am *NOT* about to spring $3000 of my savings for a
class that might or might not help. What I was asking was whether anyone here
would hire, or recommend to their manager, that someone be hired who had years
of sysadmin experience, but only training for SAN. I'm not talking, btw, about
SAN engineer positions, just general sysadmin who had to deal with SANs.

> its three weeks of class squeezed into 6 days
>
> in addition i would download the Netapp VM and play with it,

Worked with VMware for 4 months in my last contract. Trust me, that added a
*LOT* to recruiters calling me back. <G>

	mark "about to fire it up later and finally do a net install
		of CentOS 5.3 to test before doing a system upgrade"