PHP 5.2 and other requirements for TypoLight

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Tue Jun 23 14:09:04 UTC 2009

Hi,

I have been asked to prepare a server for our future Portal solution.
The responsible team has selected Typolight as the product.

Unfortunately Typolight has several requirements not met by a stock
RHEL5.3:
* PHP from version 5.2.0
* libmcrypt
There might be others, these are the ones I'm aware of right now.

I already explained how Red Hat backports security fixes so that the PHP
5.1 offered by Red Hat is not the stock PHP but the Typolight
requirements specifically state PHP 5.2 is needed.

Libmcrypt is available in EPEL and I'm considering adding that for this
server.  However the only comments I found on various forums and mailing
lists advise against upgrading to PHP 5.2 because it will mean running
an unsupported version.  Also I don't have the resources to keep track
with PHP updates and continuously update a home-grown package.

I'd appreciate some feedback/suggestions on how to cope with this (and
similar) requirements.

Kind regards

Bram

--
Bram Mertens
Red Hat Certified Engineer (RHCE)

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB