SUDO

Mertens, Bram mertensb at mazdaeur.com
Mon Jun 29 14:16:52 UTC 2009

I'd like to elaborate on this a bit.

The intention of sudo is to allow specific users to execute specific
commands while keeping the root account locked down.  In addition sudo
provides a trace of which user executed which command in /var/log/secure
that can be used for auditing.

The sudoers file should allow as little as possible to as few users as
possible!

If you allow users to execute sudo su - with or without having to enter
the root password you gain nothing.  While working as root no actions
are logged and all log files can be edited to remove any trace of
"illegal" actions.

The same applies for sudo bash, this will grant the user full shell
access without logging.

Another example is sudo vi(m): from within vi the user can execute any
command without any kind of logging.

As for reading the log files: have a look at ACLs, configuring that
allows you to grant read access to log files to a specific user or group
of users.

Kind regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING  310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB