something like sar for memory?

ESGLinux esggrupos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 30 12:06:39 UTC 2009

Well,
Now I get the info with sar comes the problem to understand the results.

Allways I try to see the real used memory in linux I have the same problem,
it seems that it´s using ALL the memory.

with sar -r:
                kbmemfree kbmemused  %memused kbbuffers  kbcached kbswpfree
kbswpused  %swpused  kbswpcad
12:55:01       408540   3740728              90,15    391560   1191012
4096200       332           0,01                 48

my system has 4GB and it looks it has 3,7G in use, but I don´t think it´s
true.

with the free -m command:

free -m
                   total       used       free     shared    buffers
cached
Mem:          4052       3705        346          0        384       1217
-/+ buffers/cache:       2103       1948
Swap:         4000          0       4000

the result is the same, but I have heard that the real free memory is the
 in the colum free in the -/+ buffers/cache, is it true?

with vmstat as Manuel suggests:

 vmstat -s -S m
         4248 m total memory
         3907 m used memory
         2992 m active memory
          738 m inactive memory
          341 m free memory
          404 m buffer memory
         1289 m swap cache
         4194 m total swap
            0 m used swap
         4194 m free swap

what is command I get other results

so how many memory are free on my system :-( ?

ESG