Options for logging console messages

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Tue Mar 3 01:08:04 UTC 2009

Jeff Boyce wrote:
> Background / problem description.
> I administer a RHEL3 U9 file server for a small business.  While I was
> out of town recently the server locked up and the staff rebooted it and
> everything came back up ok.  After I returned to the office I got a
> debriefing of what happened and had a chance to look through the log
> files to find any indication of what might of happened.  From talking to
> the person that rebooted the system, they stated that there were
> messages on the console that referred to a possible problem with the
> scsi card.  I found no indication of anything like this in any of the
<snip>
Hmmm, oddly enough, I've had my server at home freeze. It's openSuSE 10.3 (and
I didn't know 'bout CentOS, ok? next upgrade....) What *seems* to be the case
is an ATA drive partition is having trouble mounting, though I don't see any
errors or *why*. I do note that if I comment it out in /etc/fstab, let the
system boot, and *then* mount it, I have no trouble at all mounting it. I'm
sort of wondering if there's a driver order, since my newer drive is SATA.

Consider that....

	mark