Source RPM

Ray Van Dolson rvandolson at esri.com
Thu Mar 5 01:45:46 UTC 2009

On Wed, Mar 04, 2009 at 05:38:38PM -0800, Allen, Jack wrote:
> Hello:
>         I am trying to track down what I think is a bug in the login
> program and I want to look at the source. I have determined that
> /bin/login is provided by util-linux-XXXXXXXXXXX. So I have found the CD
> that contains util-linux-XXXXXXXX.src.rpm, but I don't know the exact
> options to rpm to see what's in the rpm file and to extract the files I
> want to look at. I would rather extract the file relative to some
> directory I am in, not to /usr/src/redhat/*.
>
>         I have read the man page on rpm and tried a few things, but do
> not seem to be able to do what I want.
>
>         So can some one provide me with the proper options to use?

Really the easiest thing is probably to use the /usr/src/redhat
directory.

  # rpm -ivh <srcrpm>
  # cd /usr/src/redhat/SOURCES

You should see the tarball there along with patches are used to patch
the tarball before it's compiled.

You might perform one further step:

  # rpmbuild -bp /usr/src/redhat/SPECS/util-linux.spec
  # cd /usr/src/redhat/BUILD

This will extract the tarball and apply the RH patches in a
subdirectory under BUILD.  You can jump in this directory and poke
around.

Ray