RHEL5 and Sun Java

Hugh E Cruickshank hugh at forsoft.com
Sun Mar 22 21:02:13 UTC 2009

From: Cameron Simpson Sent: March 20, 2009 18:47
> On 20Mar2009 16:32, Hugh E Cruickshank <hugh at forsoft.com> wrote:
> | It appears to install fine until I get to the point where I am
> | supposed to install the Firefox (version 3.0.7) plugin. The target
> | directory for libjavaplugin_oji.so (/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.7/plugins)
> | did not exist so I created it and installed the symlink
>
> Have you checked that the symlink resolves?
>
>   ls -ldL /usr/lib/firefox-3.0.7/plugins/libjavaplugin_oji.so

Bingo! I had the symlink pointing to itself. After the number of times
that I have done this to myself you would think I would have learned
by now to watch out for this but no, it seems I am doomed to repeat
this over and over again. Arghhhhh!

Anyway I removed the faulty symlink and created the correct one in the
/usr/lib/firefox-3.0.7/plugins/ directory and everything works fine
now (the Java Console shows up on the Tools menu and Firefox passes
the Java.com web test). Now to document the whole process to make sure
I can repeat it.

Thanks for your help!

Regards, Hugh

--