Xen virtual machines and ntp

Marti, Rob RJM002 at shsu.edu
Mon May 18 16:13:19 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:redhat-list-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Jose R R
Sent: Monday, May 18, 2009 11:03 AM
To: General Red Hat Linux discussion list
Subject: Re: Xen virtual machines and ntp

On Mon, May 18, 2009 at 7:15 AM, mark <m.roth2006 at rcn.com> wrote:
> ESGLinux wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Now that I could restart my mail server with a Xen kernel (uname -a: Linux
>> mailserver 2.6.18-128.el5xen #1 SMP Wed Dec 17 12:01:40 EST 2008 x86_64
>> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux)
>>

>> I suposse it`s not a goog idea to run a non-xen kernel on a Xen host,
> <snip>
> Really?!
>
> Ok, that's nothing I would have expected, from my limited experience with VMs.
> VMware, you install the "guest" o/s in the VM, and it doesn't have to know
> anything about the VM host.
>
>        mark

Xen guest paravirtualization, i.e., when the guest or DomU "knows"
that it is being virtualized, provides the closest to native hardware
performance.  Accordingly, open --hence modifiable or capable of being
"Xenizied"-- kernels  like that of GNU/Linux are the ideal for the
so-called cloud computing platform or delivery mechanism.

The performance of Software as a Service (SaaS) applications, being
served/delivered through the cloud platform, is dependent on the
qualities of underlying infrastructure, of which virtualization plays
a prominent role.  Neither proprietary, closed source, technologies as
those by VmWare or MS HyperV, can provide the level of flexibility
and/or performance as that enabled by open source Xen technology.

Additionally, interoperability and deployment of virtual machines
hosting business applications among the different cloud computing
providers, including those of private clouds, decreases significantly
if closed source, self-serving  proprietary virtualization enabler
infrastructure technology prevail.

--
Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com