Xen virtual machines and ntp

mark m.roth2006 at rcn.com
Tue May 19 14:37:57 UTC 2009

Jose R R wrote:
> On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 12:52 AM, Smith Jack (Ext. - UGIS - UniCredit
> Group) <jack.smith.extern at unicreditgroup.de> wrote:
>>> Jose R R Wrote
>>> -- snip --
>>>
>>> Here is the rephrased paragraph:
>>>
>>> Current economic conditions are dragging conservative attitudes into
>> outsourcing their IT plumbing;  cloud computing platform providers are
>> the receivers or beneficiaries of exactly that (traditionally
>> conservative corporate IT) outsourcing. The proliferation of cloud
>> computing platform delivery mechanism providers, of which Amazon EC2 is
>> the poster child, should start smashing those artificial attitudes.
>>> -- snip --
>> I have no idea what you are trying to communicate, and I suspect you
>> don't either.
>>
> ...funny, I have been accused of the same by people who have never
> read the Popol Vuh or the Bhagavad-Gita ;-)

Sorry, only read the latter, back when the world was young (and so was I). <g>

> For the purpose of this thread,  my use of the term “conservative
> attitude” is descriptive of the refusal by traditional enterprise IT
> to outsource their core business applications --preferring to keep
> those (applications) inhouse, supporting and delivering applications
> in their enterprise own hardware/software infrastructure (expensive
> data centers).  Hence enterprise IT traditionally acquire an
> “artificial attitude” that provides an false sense of security since
> there have occurred high profile security breaches.

Ok, *NOW* I know what you're saying, and I *strongly* disagree with you. For
example, almost all my jobs since the late nineties have been consulting
(which, for the record, I hate, esp. because you have to a) worry about
contracts rolling over, and b) these days, the three year/two year/whatever
year rule). What I have seen is that a consultant's has to be "furloughed", at
least, and all the knowledge and skillset walks out the door. This is *not* to
the benefit of the company to have that kind of turnover.

Let's also not forget that consultant rates are higher than employee pay rates,
*and* there's the loading for the consulting co itself; the result is that it
costs a company *more* for a consultant than for an employee.

It's also bad for me, as an employee, and as a human being. For one, maybe
you're still young enough to get off on adrenaline rushes and are "excited"
about moving on; the rest of us would like some stability in our lives. For
another, you find a job that you fit, and that fits you, and people you get
along with, some of whom you like (come on, you spend more "quality time' with
the folks you work with than your family)... and now you're out the door.
<snip>

	mark