Semi OT: cpu always 100%

ESGLinux esggrupos at gmail.com
Fri May 22 10:35:12 UTC 2009

Hi,

2009/5/22 Jose R R <jose.r.r at metztli.com>

> On Thu, May 21, 2009 at 11:55 PM, ESGLinux <esggrupos at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hello,
> >
> > I have marked this question as Semi OFF Topic because I think its not Red
> > Hat specific issue but a related product.
> >
> > I use tomcat on a  Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update
> 4).
> > What happens to me is that suddenly the process of tomcat gets 100% CPU
> and
> > stays at that level of usage for ever. I suspect there is a problem with
> my
> > application (I´m not asking about this, that´s my problem :-( )
> >
> Have you tried an different JVM / JDK?  Are these latter 64- or 32-bit
> ?  Is your application / server designed to run in 32- or 64-bit arch?
>  Have your tried running your application in an different server
> (hardware)?  What about trying the application within an different
> GNU/Linux distribution environment?

I have a 32bits architecture and I´m running tomcat 5.5.26
I have the same distribution on a Suse Enterprise Linux 9 and sometimes I
got the same situation

> Hardware and software heterogeneous environments provide insight that
> you would not obtain from an homogeneous one.  Hence, if possible
> explore running your application/tomcat server in an alternate
> environment.  Moreover...
>
> Java Performance analysis tools available for Red Hat's JBoss
> application server may come handy --especially since tomcat is only a
> component of JBoss.  Since you mentioned (elsewhere) you have a paid
> Red Hat subscription, you may have access to some or all of those.

this sound interesting, which exactly tools do you mean?

> > What I want to know is, how can I see, for example, the thread of tomcat
> is
> > consumming the cpu (I have tried the thead options of ps) and if is there
> > any way to inspect what is doing a thread.
> >
> Additionally, the IBM AlphaWorks / DeveloperWorks area offers early
> access (development releases) to sophisticated Java Performance
> analysis tools (among other cool stuff) that you may find of great
> value in your efforts to diagnose your Java application/server.  See
> for instance < http://www.alphaworks.ibm.com/tech/jca >.  Yes, you
> will also find debuggers and heap analyzers to correct your Java
> application ;-)

I´m trying jprofiler from http://www.ej-technologies.com (but it´s not
free... so, If I have another tool from jboss...)

> As a matter of fact you may even find helpful application diagnose
> tools and utilities  (at little, no cost, or trials)  from any Java
> software development entity like Sun MicroSystems and, of course, its
> rabid Java user parent company.
> [...]
>
> Good luck!

Thanks I need it,