Re: Xen virtual machines and ntp

ESGLinux wrote:

> that was my first idea, (and woks well with other servers).
> but dovecot kills itself when the time goes backwards
>
> as you see in
> http://wiki.dovecot.org/TimeMovedBackwards
>
> 1 You're running ntpdate periodically. This isn't a good idea.

Nope. You make sure ntp's not running, do that *once*, then fire up service ntp.

Several things: try putting into your /etc/ntp.conf, AS THE VERY FIRST LINE,
tinker panic 0

This will keep ntp from having heart failure if the jump's too large.

And I know you're on Xen, but you might see if they have something similar to
VMWare's Timekeeping best practices for Linux
<http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/viewContent.do?externalId=1006427&sliceId=1>

	mark