How to calculate bandwidth requirement

James Jones jrjones at alaska.edu
Fri Nov 13 17:27:35 UTC 2009

Sarang,

I had to accomplish a similar issue a number of years  ago at a different
job.  How I solved the problem was to put up a test environment with my test
users on one hub, a single link to another hub which the server was
attached, measured the traffic flow over a period of time then used some
basic statistics to extrapolate out, added a fudge factor and hoped we were
correct.  We installed the required lines to the ISP which I believe were 2
t1s at the time, and hoped we were right.   We were okay for about 2 years
before we had to upgrade because of traffic load.  The process was crude and
with more money I could have setup a more exact testing environment which
would have yielded better results.  Measuring system and traffic performance
is a art as well as a science, IMHO.

jim