Problem with bonded (teaming) NIC's on RHEL 4.0

Carel Lubbe carel.lubbe at openpolytechnic.ac.nz
Tue Nov 17 08:15:41 UTC 2009

Hi Anne,

Yes is the answer......
I think mii-tool has a problem with GIG speeds.
I have two NICs on my server eth0 and eth1
The switch they connect to show they have negotiated a GIG connection
When you run mii-tool for eth0 and eth1 it does not show that.

# mii-tool eth0
eth0: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok
# mii-tool eth1
eth1: negotiated 100baseTx-FD flow-control, link ok

But if you use the more up to date ethtool you get a true report of eth0 and eth1

# ethtool eth0
Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: g
        Link detected: yes
# ethtool eth1
Settings for eth1:
        Supported ports: [ TP ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Full
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 1000Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: Twisted Pair
        PHYAD: 1
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: g
        Wake-on: g
        Link detected: yes

I recon because the bond0 device is not a real device these tools cannot report correctly as its used by the OS depending on the bonding mode you set the interface up as to represent the real eth0 and eth1 to the OS as fail over or load balanced.