%cpu differences between sar and top

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Wed Nov 25 22:43:56 UTC 2009

How many processors or cores does the machine have?

-Adam (From Android - CM)

On Nov 25, 2009 6:37 AM, "ESGLinux" <esggrupos at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi again,

I have been investigating about this and I think that with top I don´t get
the usage of the cpu but I get de % of the cpu of the process.

I´ll explain better with and example.

With the command sar I get that the cpu usage es 35%, for example,
and with top I get that java is using 80% but what it is saying that the
java process is using the 80% of the 35% of the cpu usage, not the 80% of
the whole cpu.

Do you think that my conclusion is true?

BTW, is there any parameter in the system that tells the kernel the limit of
cpu a process can get?

Greetings,

ESG

2009/11/24 ESGLinux <esggrupos at gmail.com>

> Hello, > > I´m checking the performance of one RHEL running a java process
and I use > the sar co...