Help! Red hat doesn't recognize any usernames!

Anne Moore diabeticithink at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 11 15:07:12 UTC 2009

They looked to be fine, permissions, etc. I diff'd them to another identical
machine, and they matched up. I thoroughly went through the logs, the PAM
system, and nothing was out of the ordinary.

First time in 17 years I've ever encountered this problem. But, I was able
to recover all data and rebuilt the machine, so all is well.

I chalk it up to a red hat bug.