mail server

Denny Snyder wolverine at jhu.edu
Fri Oct 23 22:41:52 UTC 2009

That's a pretty broad ended question.  Are you looking for a complete self contained POP/IMAP/SMTP/Web mail server with its own virtual user table?  Or are you looking to piece the best parts of each in like postfix, dovecot, squirrelmail, cyrus-imap, sendmail, etc?

Are you looking for mail ONLY or a groupware product that has email, calendaring, etc... (horde, etc)

Opensource or commercial?
Exchange replacement?

One central system or a main mailbox server with multiple satellite SMTP/SPAM gateways?

Lots of questions you need to ask beginning with what it is you want to end up with.  What are the base requirements of the necessary framework to support your efforts on your company's behalf.
In short, what's the goal?  How will the management of this system be performed?

I used to work for an ISP and had to evaluate plenty of mail server solutions before we decided to go with the commercial CommuniGate Pro.

Good Luck

Denny Snyder
IT at Johns Hopkins
5801 Smith Ave Suite 3110C