Request-tracking system for system administrators

Kenneth Holter kenneho.ndu at gmail.com
Tue Oct 20 16:53:41 UTC 2009

I've had a breif look at both Mantis, GLPI and Trac. Going to look at RT
when I get the chance.

My impression so far is this:

GLPI seem to be overkill with regards to what I'm searching for, namely a
simple issue/request tracker system.

Mantis, being a bug tracking software, seems to focus more on bug
reporting. On the other hand, Mantis is focusing on software development.
How is other sysadmins utilizing these software products in operations?
Essentially, what I need is to record both requests (such as install new
computer, debug something, create users, and so on) from my customers, and
long term projects (typically internal projects initiated by us linux
sysadmins). It's important to be able to set all requests up with a due
date, so that the software triggers an alarm when the request's due date is
apporaching. Naturally, as all the above tools implement, the software
should support assigning requests to different sysadmins.

So based on my limited experience with the software products about, neither
of them seem to be "the perfect tool" for our needs. Therefore I'd greatly
appreciate it if users of those products provide me a introduction to how
they've configured the products to suite these kind of needs.

Best regards,
Kenneth