Ending strace on a process causes hung network connection

Yong Huang yong321 at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 24 16:35:18 UTC 2009

> If you do ctr+c for strace it will not kill the process. I
> checked this in RHEL 5.
> After ctl+c for strace the process in in proc still existing
> with same status. I check only in RHEL 5.3.

Sanjay,

As I said, it's determined by strace and Linux kernel version. I never said strace would kill the traced process. On the box I'm primarily concerned with, CTRL-C sends a SIGSTOP signal to the traced process. This signal freezes the process without killing it. You can try
sleep 10 &
strace -p $!
CTRL-C
Will the sleep ever end? What's your strace and Linux kernel version?

Yong Huang