Ending strace on a process causes hung network connection

Yong Huang yong321 at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 26 21:46:16 UTC 2009

--- On Sat, 10/24/09, Yong Huang <yong321 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> > If you do ctr+c for strace it will not kill the process. I
> > checked this in RHEL 5.
> > After ctl+c for strace the process in in proc still existing
> > with same status. I check only in RHEL 5.3.
>
> Sanjay,
>
> As I said, it's determined by strace and Linux kernel
> version. I never said strace would kill the traced process.
> On the box I'm primarily concerned with, CTRL-C sends a
> SIGSTOP signal to the traced process. This signal freezes
> the process without killing it. You can try
> sleep 10 &
> strace -p $!
> CTRL-C
> Will the sleep ever end? What's your strace and Linux
> kernel version?
>
> Yong Huang

Problem solved. It's the strace installed from Red Hat network. Today
I did `yum remove strace', which was

Version     : 4.5.18                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 2.el5_3.3                     Build Date: Wed 04 Feb 2009 01:01:31 PM CST

and then did `yum install strace', which is

Version     : 4.5.18                            Vendor: Red Hat, Inc.
Release     : 5.el5                         Build Date: Fri 19 Jun 2009 10:47:00 AM CDT

On the other box where I had strace release 2.el5_3.2 with Build
Date: Wed 07 Jan 2009, I also removed it and installed the latest.
Both problems I reported earlier are gone.

Yong Huang