CentOS and wireless, oh my

Johan Booysen johan at matrix-data.co.uk
Wed Sep 9 10:36:28 UTC 2009

What chipset does you wireless card have?

Few weeks ago I tried to get one with a Ralink RT2561 chipset to work
under CentOS 5.2 and 5.3.  The drivers included with CentOS don't work,
period.  Ralink's own drivers kind of works if you can bear reading
their instructions in "English"...but the card drops its connection all
over the place.

I tried RT61 drivers from serialmonkey.com.  They worked slighty better
but still the thing dropped its connection very frequently.

Eventually I gave up on it.  I must've spent close to a week's worth of
evenings trying to get it to run properly.

It sucks.