CentOS and wireless, oh my

Jose R R jose.r.r at metztli.com
Wed Sep 9 17:16:27 UTC 2009

On Wed, Sep 9, 2009 at 9:49 AM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:

> > On Tue, Sep 8, 2009 at 6:28 PM, <m.roth at 5-cent.us> wrote:
> >> So, at home, I'm finally going up from opensuse 10.3 to CentOS 5.3. With
> >> opensuse 10.3, two years old, yast had utterly no trouble configuring my
> >> wireless card, with the madwifi driver, and handling WPA.
> > [...]
> >>
> >> Clues for the incredibly irritated?
> >>
> > Well, only a suggestion.  You may want to dual boot with Fedora 11
> > --being bleeding edge,it may recognize appropriately (and provide
>
> *sigh*
> When I go home from working as a sysadmin, I do NOT want to debug the o/s.

...Reiterating there are Debian, Ubuntu, or even Fedora 11
distributions provide better support.  You could have upgraded SuSE to
the newer version, as well.

> I never went to fedora when RedHat went to that and RHEL.

That is purely subjective.  Inanimate objects -as hardware- or human
creations -as software- are in the irrational realm.

> > support for) your wireless card.  Subsequently you may use the
>
> Why should I need bleeding edge?

1) Possibly better routines to identify your hardware and provide
appropriate network configuration parameters?

2) Accumulation of wireless drivers in that distribution like [...]
> ath5k_pci?
that you are searching for???

Jose R R
http://www.metztli-it.com
IBM Lotus Symphony supported on GNU/Linux, Mac OS, and Windows.