upgrade php4 to php5

Adam Miller maxamillion at gmail.com
Thu Sep 10 14:43:46 UTC 2009

While there is no real clean way to accomplish this on a RHEL4
machine, and I *really* don't recommend it, I have done this here at
work because we had a use case for it. I took the Fedora 10 php 5.2.9
rpm and stripped out a couple bits I didn't need as well as a couple
compile flags that don't work on RHEL4 and rebuilt it.

If you run this and call RedHat support for a php issue, they won't
help because you will no longer be running a version of php that they
support.

Here is the SRPM of the package I threw together and we use here:
http://www.shsu.edu/~ajm023/php-5.2.9-2.1.el4.src.rpm

You will also need pcre-devel for the build (which the pcre SRPM spits
out), which is located here:
http://www.shsu.edu/~ajm023/pcre-7.8-1.el4.src.rpm

If you need binaries (it spits out quite a few), I would be happy to
build and upload them also.. the SRPM was just easier at the moment.

Again, I *really* don't recommend anyone go out of band with RHEL ...
its kind of the point of RHEL to run packages that you have support
on, but if you really need to then these packages should do the trick.

-Adam

--
http://maxamillion.googlepages.com