New to Linux

Aaron Bliss abliss at brockport.edu
Wed Sep 23 16:03:55 UTC 2009

Is this a redhat 5 box?  If so, do you have a RedHat subscription?
There is a createrepo package available:

yum list create*
Loaded plugins: rhnplugin, security
rhel-x86_64-server-vt-5
               | 1.3 kB     00:00
rhn-tools-rhel-x86_64-server-5
               |  871 B     00:00
rhel-x86_64-server-5
               | 1.3 kB     00:00
Available Packages
createrepo.noarch                              0.4.11-3.el5
                  rhel-x86_64-server-5

yum install createrepo should install the package, working under the
assumption this is a RedHat 5 box.

Aaron