Samba share files disapearing

Richardson, Joshua A. Joshua.Richardson at gd-ais.com
Thu Sep 24 14:03:40 UTC 2009

Hey everyone,

I have a problem that's been haunting me for a month or so now and I've
hit a brick wall.  I have a particular samba share that all the files
are going missing in.  The directory structure is retained, but all the
files are gone.  Fortunately I have a solid backup system in place and
have no worries recovering the data, but I am concerned as to the reason
this is happening.  All my other shares are functioning fine with no
data loss.  I'm running RHEL 4 ES, 2.6.9-5.ELsmp and samba version
3.0.10-1.4E.

For troubleshooting I started using a vfs recycle bin, and that's
working correctly, but the missing files don't show up in it, only files
deleted through a Windows share, which leads me to think it may be
something on the machine itself, or since it's exported through NFS as
well, it could be happening on another Linux box.  I'm not really sure
where to turn from here.  I've been auditing samba for a while now and
nothing there either.

Here's the entry for the share in the /etc/samba/smb.conf file:

#
# CARP Public Share
#
[DEV]