LVM Name Changed?

Richardson, Joshua A. Joshua.Richardson at gd-ais.com
Tue Sep 8 20:27:15 UTC 2009

I have a chassis IBM JS22 blades running RHEL 5.2 with a kernel.org
kernel of 2.6.29.4 and over the long weekend, we apparently took a power
hit in the lab.  I came back in this morning to find over half of them
dropping me into maintenance mode during boot.  After several hours of
screwing around trying to diagnose the problem, I realized that somehow
the LVM names had changed on these particular machines from
/dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00 and LogVol01 to /dev/vg0/root and swap002.  Has
anyone ever seen anything like this and if so, do you know why it
happened?  Thanks!

Joshua A. Richardson
General Dynamics AIS
Principal  Systems Engineer