RE: New to Linux

Thank you. I was able to install createrepo.noarch off of the cd.

Judy

-----Original Message-----
From: redhat-list-bounces redhat com
[mailto:redhat-list-bounces redhat com] On Behalf Of Ray Van Dolson
Sent: Wednesday, September 23, 2009 12:38 PM
To: redhat-list redhat com
Subject: Re: New to Linux

On Wed, Sep 23, 2009 at 09:25:54AM -0700, Marks, Judy A. wrote:
> Ok, but wouldn't the createrepo command be part of the default
software
> install? I still have access to the dvd so I can probably get it from
> there. Where does/should the createrepo command reside on the server?
> /usr/sbin???
>
> Judy

'createrepo' is part of the 'createrepo' package.  If you need to
install software off of your DVD, you can do so manually with rpm.  Or,
if you want to use yum:

  1. Insert your DVD into your DVD drive.
  2. Run df to see where the DVD mountd (should be /media/something)
  3. Create a file /etc/yum.repos/rhel-media.repo file with the
     following contents:

        [rhel5-media]
        name=RHEL-$releasever - Media
        baseurl=file:///media/something/Server/
        gpgcheck=1
        enabled=0
        gpgkey=file:///etc/pki/rpm-gpg/RPM-GPG-KEY-redhat-release

     Set baseurl to the path you found in step #2 with /Server/ on the
     end as in the example.

  4. Run the following command to install your software:

       # yum --enablerepo=rhel5-media install createrepo

Untested, but I believe should work...

Ray