Cluster help!!

Stephen Gilbert linuxelf at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 12:11:06 UTC 2010

I just recently built a RedHat 5.5 cluster.  At a minimum, I think you
need to install cman and rgmanager.  They're found on the last ISO from
RedHat.  What type of cluster do you need?  Do you need the cluster for
high availability, or to increase throughput (or both)?  If you are
looking for high availability, then drbd will work.  I say that because
with drbd, you can only mount the partition on one server at a time, so
in a high availability cluster using drbd, the node currently in charge
would mount the partition, and the standby node would be mirroring all
data realtime.  If the main node fails, the secondary would then take
over and mount the partition.  If you have need of having both nodes
online simultaneously, you'll either need some shared storage, or you'll
need to do something externally to keep the partitions in sync.  A few
rsync commands run on a cron would do it, but of course the data
wouldn't be replicated in real time.

raj sourabh wrote:
> Dear Stephen,
>
> Thanks a lot for your reply.
>
> My requirement is:  I want to create FTP server on two redhat systems
> running on cluster mode. Data should be replicated on both servers.
>
> My status is:  1. Ricci installed on both servers
>                      2. Luci installed on master system
>                      3. When I try to create a cluster the process does not
> finish successfully / process goes on forever
>                      4. I can see the storage of both the systems (i.e.
> Network part is through)
>
> I have not installed anything other than ricci and luci.
>
> Please suggest.
>
> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards
> Raj
>
> On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 3:06 PM, Stephen Gilbert <linuxelf at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>> Luci and ricci are used to manage the cluster.  The actual cluster
>> software is cman and rgmanager.  Are you looking to cluster for high
>> availability or high throughput?  If you just need availability, so
>> you'll never need users to be using both nodes at the same time, then
>> I'd recommend drbd to keep the two in sync.
>>
>> raj sourabh wrote:
>>
>>> Dear All,
>>>
>>> I need your help on following;
>>>
>>> Scenario: Two RHEL 5.5 servers connected by Cisco switch. IP's are
>>> configured on same subnet.
>>>
>>> Purpose: I need to set up ftp server using redhat clustered storage.
>>>
>> (Files
>>
>>> should be reflected on both servers).. Note there is no external storage
>>> device!! I need to put the file on server hard disks only when in
>>> production..
>>>
>>> Queries: 1. Can I configure cluster using above equipments??
>>> 2. I have installed ricci and luci on one server. and another server
>>> contains ricci only. When I try to create cluster the process goes on
>>> forever. I cant see any error.
>>> 3. No cluster.conf file is generated..