File permissions being stripped on new files

Bruce Lundberg bwlundberg at comcast.net
Wed Feb 3 14:01:03 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'm having an issue that I've seen before on other OS's (Solaris), but I'm coming up blank on solving for an NFS mount shared from RedHat
I've googled this, and looked through all the FAQs and mail lists I can find.

The issue is this:

Whenever a new file is created from an NFS client to an NFS mounted file system, the group and world permissions are being stripped such that any new file created ends up with 0600 as the file permissions. On the server, I have tried various sharing options (all_squash, anonuid, anongid, no_acl) with no luck. I've looked at the underlying mount point ownership and permissions, checked the file system acl's (getfacl...they match the visible file system), and set the custom SELinux (not mine) config to permissive. The file system is on an LVM partition, and has an SELinux group assigned in /etc/fstab. I've unmounted it, and performed a vanilla mount (no options). No amount of trial and error is working. Any file created by any user on an nfs client machine creates files with 0600 permissions, and local users on the nfs server create files with permissions based off their umask settings. I originally thought it was due to mismatches in permissions from Windows to Linux (The server also NFS shares to Windows 2K boxes using hclnfsd (PC/NFS)), but I confirmed the same issue between RedHat systems.

One thing I'm wondering from my reading. It's mentioned in many places that ownership should be root in most cases and not some other user. This entire file structure is owned by a user that is ONLY local to the server box (long story, but the box is isolated....no DNS and only local users and settings). I've been trying to get this problem solved and am running out of ideas.

TIA

Bruce Lundberg
Sr Unix Systems Administrator