yum and "rpm -U" not working

Margaret Doll Margaret_Doll at brown.edu
Thu Jan 21 18:29:33 UTC 2010

On Jan 21, 2010, at 1:03 PM, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

>>> Is there any clue in /var/log/yum.log?
> <snip>
>> The kernel on which the system is running is xen, but the problem
>> with
>> rpm and yum still exists.
>
> Ok, so is there anything in the yum.log, from when it failed? Have you
> tried rpm -Uvh xterm, to see if it said anything? Oh - and try rpm -
> Uvvh -
> I thought I remembered this, and yep, the man page sayeth "Print
> lots of
> ugly debugging information".
>
> Let us know what happens if you try that.
>
>         mark

Thanks, Mark and Gabi,

	rpm -Uvvh xterm*rpm

ends with

D: opening  db index       /var/lib/rpm/Packages create mode=0x42
D: mounted filesystems:
D:     i        dev    bsize       bavail       iavail mount point

We are also having problems with df working completely.  df also hangs
after reporting most of the volumes that are mounted.   We thought the
problems were unrelated.  Perhaps a reboot will help.