best way to make a full backup of a system

Bohdan Sydor bohdan at harazd.net
Sat Jan 23 10:33:49 UTC 2010

Marti, Robert wrote:
> A kickstart takes no time. There's a ks file in /root after you
> install a box.

Writing about kickstart and the fact it does take some time, I meant
that you should make effort to non-interactively script your RHEL
configuration.
Refer to the section %post of the ks.cfg. The history of RHEL
installation you have just in /root/anaconda-ks.cfg, but your
customization you should describe in the %post section, e.g. change your
configuration files, add additional users, create directories, or change
permissions.

Everything in the %post section must be non-interactive.  A simple
example, if you want to add user john with password redhat:

useradd -p $(openssl passwd -1 redhat) john

or you want to create you custom /etc/resolv.conf file you'd better write:

cat <<EOF > /etc/resolv.conf
search example.com
nameserver 192.168.0.254
EOF

instead of vi/nano/gedit /etc/resolv.conf and interactively edit the file.

Regards

--
Bohdan Sydor
RHC{E,I,X}