Dynamic interface using iproute2

Gustavo Schroeder gutosch at gmail.com
Tue Jan 26 13:23:11 UTC 2010

Hi,

I've always used iproute2 with a fixed IP, which makes things easy to
get the address in order to insert it into other dynamic tables. My
issue is that now, the IP is going to be dynamic; one will use
dhclient to get the IP but I'm puzzled on how to insert it into
dynamic tables using redhat features.
Here's the scenario:
- interface A receives dynamic IP using dhclient
- once iface A is up, one needs to get the current IP address an push
it into a dynamic table

This is perfectly achievable using a post-up interface script, since
the iface is up and has an IP I can easily get the addr. Is such a
feature supported in redhat using an /etc/sysconfig/route-ethX or
rule-ethX approach?

Regards
-Gustavo