Internet connection sharing between two boxes

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Jan 29 14:50:47 UTC 2010

> Hi,
>
> I had a method way back I think it was in RHEL 4, on how to bridge two
> interfaces together.
>
> Basically what I want to do would be described as windows internet
> connection sharing ICS (sorry for the windows example)
>
> I basically want to take 1 machine with two NIC's  and connect a  2nd to
> it and have access to the network either on private subnet or with a
> public IP, which ever is easiest.

You should read up on *Nix networking.

What I had at home was
   two NICs in a firewall/router box (WITH ALMOST NOTHING ON IT)
   cable modem to one NIC
   other NIC to a cheap switch
   several computers connected to switch

Set NAT and masquerading on the firewall/router

Another route, which I'm probably going to do now, is buy a cheap router,
with a few ethernet ports and wireless (for company with laptop), and
broadband to router, computers to router.

          mark