where is uudecode in RHEL6 Beta?

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Jul 8 08:31:35 UTC 2010

On Wed, 7 Jul 2010, fred smith wrote:

> On Thu, Jul 08, 2010 at 12:16:19AM +0200, Dag Wieers wrote:

>>> sorry, but I don't see how openssl can substitute for uudecode. I just
>>> did a rpm -qlp against the openssl package and there's no uudecode
>>> hiding therein, either. figured it wouldn't hurt to look... :(
>>
>> I think Russ meant using:
>>
>> 	openssl base64 -in <file>
>>
>> The openssl tool can be used in many useful ways, it's not just a library
>> package.
>
> Dag, I woulda never thought of that in a million years! :(
>
> Doing that lets me ENcode a file, but so far I haven't figured out
> how to use it to DEcode a file, which is really what I want most.
> Any more clues for the clueless (me)??

There is a help for each of the commands, but I don't know how to activate
it properly, if you type --help it will show you (and complain that help
is not a valid command :)

In any case, to 'decrypt' you can use -d like:

 	openssl base64 -in /etc/passwd | openssl base64 -d

The help output is shown for each command, you can try:

 	openssl base64 --help

Now I wouldn't say this is a complete replacement for uuencode/uudecode,
but you can write a wrapper that provides the exact same output, or can
handle typical markers as input.

I use openssl most frequently for:

 	openssl passwd -1
or	openssl passwd -apr1