IBM DS4700 and RDAC

Georgios Magklaras georgios at biotek.uio.no
Tue Jul 20 11:17:14 UTC 2010

On 07/20/2010 05:06 AM, Wahyu Darmawan wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have problem with my servers. I use two of HP Blade Servers and RHEL 4.6 installed on them, and have IBM DS4700 connected to them.
> In those servers are running RHCS (Red Hat Cluster Suite) with GFS for handling Oracle Database.
> Yesterday, I had missing one partition from the storage, suddenly. I called IBM and they suggested to use RDAC.
> The question is, Why should use IBM RDAC for multipath in my RHEL 4, and why HP Blade + HP EVA Storage don't use any addition plugins software to keep server + storage connection?
> I will appreciate For some reasons by all of you.
> Thank you.
>

> Regards,
> Wahyu

This is a classic. RDAC is the standard supported way to perform
multi-path software config for IBM DS devices. In addition, it provides
some troubleshooting features that are not included in other software
suites (such as the HP tools). So, what they will do is to look at the
'SMdevices' command and verify the status of the RDAC software that
talks to your DS4700 unit. The HP Blade + EVA is concerned with lights
out and HP specific things.

When I had to deal with a similar case, IBM insisted that it is part of
the support deal to install this software. It is not really a big thing
to install it. If they won't help you with installation give us a shout.

--
Best regards,
--

George Magklaras BSc (Hons) MPhil RHCE
IT Systems Manager/Senior Systems Engineer

http://www.biotek.uio.no
http://www.no.embnet.org
http://folk.uio.no/georgios