/etc/redhat-release

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jun 28 20:14:48 UTC 2010

<snip>
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 2:15 PM, Stainforth, Matthew (SD/DS)
> <Matthew.Stainforth at gnb.ca> wrote:
>>> The "pain point" I mentioned was the inconsistent treatment of
>>> /etc/redhat-release which causes maintenance work for those of us who
>>> do need to parse it in scripts over time. We can expect distinct
>>> cases for each major release of RHEL but there have also been
>>> occasions where this file has changed in unpredictable ways across
>>> minor update levels as well.
<snip>
Y'know, when all you want is lsb_release, and I know I'd noticed it when I
installed it on some of our servers, but this finally penetrated, so I
just did rpm -qi -R redhat-lsb. Can *ANYONE* explain to me why it needs
libX11? I mean, it's a bloody command line shell script that prints to
STDOUT!

          mark