NTP Restrict Statements.

Kaydo kaydo at rice.edu
Wed Mar 10 16:57:49 UTC 2010

Hi all.

I've got NTP up and running, but I am not confident that the restrictions
are actually working.  Does anyone know if there is a log or diagnostic tool
I can run that shows any denied requests due to restrict statements in
ntp.conf?  I am testing a restrict statement but it doesn't seem to be doing
anything.  The following line:

restrict 192.168.0.1 mask 255.255.255.0 nomodify notrap noquery

Still allows any of my clients with an IP of 192.168.0.x to run ntpq -p
against my NTP server which I thought the "noquery" command would disallow.
I even tried putting "restrict ignore all" and everything still worked fine.
I restarted the ntp daemon on my server after each change, and even on my
clients but still no luck.

RHEL 5.4.  NTP 4.2.

Thanks,

- Kaydo