rpm -qa and architecture info

Dag Wieers dag at wieers.com
Thu Mar 25 17:51:45 UTC 2010

On Tue, 9 Mar 2010, Yong Huang wrote:

> `rpm -qa' shows the package names (and versions and releases). This command
>
> rpm -qa --qf '%{NAME}-%{VERSION}-%{RELEASE} (%{ARCH})\n'
>
> shows that plus architecture. Is there a shorter command that does the same, i.e. shows name, version, release and arch? It's hard to remember and type that long line. I want something like
>
> rpm -qa [a simple option that shows arch IN ADDITION TO what the preceding option i.e. -qa shows]

Hi Yong,

What I often do is create a file called /etc/rpm/macros.query_all_fmt and
add the following content:

 	%_query_all_fmt %%{name}-%%{version}-%%{release}.%%{arch}

This will automatically show the architecture in a way that is compatible
with yum if you do rpm -qa.

This, however, will break any programs that does not specifically
provide a query format and somehow expects the default output (without
architecture).

To be honest, I think the current default is a design bug. Not specifying
an architecture results in non-unique output and causes confusion with
users.