X settings

Ben bda20 at cam.ac.uk
Tue Nov 2 09:08:00 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2 Nov 2010, Phil Savoie wrote:

> Question on X.  I had inadvertently removed my xorg.conf file under
> /etc/X11 and rebooted the machine.  To my surprise, X started without a
> problem.  So, I was wondering if there was some other place where X
> settings were stored.

No.  However, if X cannot find an xorg.conf file it will attempt to probe
the graphics hardware (chipset and monitor DDC) and make a best guest at an
optimal setup.  I've had a couple of machines in the past which didn't
actually have xorg.conf files (mainly through laziness).  If you have an
esoteric monitor or newer chipset it's usually a bit harder for X to figure
out what'll work best and it will probably default to the vesa driver and
800x600 or something similar.

If you want X to generate one for you, one way is to go into
system-config-display make a change and then let it save you an xorg.conf.

Ben
         Life Is Short.          It's All Good.