Windows to Linux File Transfer (Automatically)

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Fri Oct 22 00:23:56 UTC 2010

I don't think 'ascii' mode is important any longer. But if it is and you
want 'append' you should consider using rsync over ssh. rsync treats all
files as binary -- which has been safe for all use cases I have had when
transferring files from windows to linux and back. running rsync over ssh is
secure as well -- and you can use ssh public keys to make the connection
passwordless and secure. rsync also will only transfer the 'diffs' -- so if
file a, b, and c have not changed, but d has changed (and only the 15th thru
the 60th byte) then only the changes to d will be sent. rsync does not
handle ntfs alternate data streams, and sometimes seems to barf on unicode
file names using asian charactersets.  so you should test well.

On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 5:59 AM, sunhux G <sunhux at gmail.com> wrote:

> pscp or psftp do not support "ASCII" mode transfer which is available in
> ftp
> - this was a shortcoming I faced when transferring files between Windows &
>  Unix boxes.  pscp/psftp doesn't support "APPEND" mode too while ftp does.
>
> Having said that ftp does not transfer data as securely as 'scp' or 'sftp'
>
> winscp supports "ASCII" though & I think if you're transferring a whole
> subdirectory of files, winscp will detect which file to be transferred in
> ASCII & which in Binary.

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2010 at 2:17 AM, Aaron Bliss <abliss at brockport.edu> wrote:
>
> > You may find using winscp or pscp (XP machine client) helpful.  We use
> both
> > to transfer data frequently, as the clients support private/public keys
> and
> > there own scripting language.
> >
> > Aaron

David Bear