Hardware Problem with a USB device port

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Fri Sep 10 17:57:13 UTC 2010

Doll, Margaret Ann wrote:
>   I had a totally mysterious problem involving one
> of the mounted partitions: an external USB RAID.
<snip>
No idea of the answer... but here's a related question: USB RAID? Unless
it's USB 3, it's going to be *very* slow for i/o. Literally, over the last
two days, I went to shred a disk. Using an external USB for the drive,
after something like an hour and a half, it had gotten up to 2% done on
the first pass. Once I had a slot free in an eSATA docking station, it was
over 7% in less than two *minutes*, which is several orders of magnitude
faster. An eSATA card is not real expensive, and the docking stations are
on the order of $40-$50, and performance will *massively* get better.

       mark