best way to make a full backup of a system

madunix madunix at gmail.com
Sun Sep 12 20:09:52 UTC 2010

I use multiple tools to image linux system only (my best one is mondo) ,
1- use Mondo Rescue to clone linux systems:
http://www.mondorescue.org
in order to image your system and create bootable CD/DVD download
mondo for your distro
ftp://ftp.mondorescue.org
more info read this manual
http://www.mondorescue.org/docs/mondorescue-howto.pdf

2- You can use dd also. dd if=/dev/somedisk of=/dev/somedestination

3- rsync scripting

4- netcat
On the source server: (cd / && tar -cvf - ) | nc 192.168.1.2 2000
On the destination:: nc -l -p 2000 | tar -xvf -

5- http://sourceforge.net/projects/g4l/