User Auditing

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Sep 23 15:28:41 UTC 2010

Marti, Robert wrote:
> I haven't tried them, but do these track executing shell commands from
> inside vim or other editors?  Or other ways of running commands? (write a
> script, run it, delete the script)

It also strikes me as a) a great way to create an overwhelming amount of
data; b) useless - consider the user edits a script, suspends the editing
session, runs the script, forgrounds the editing session, and undoes
whatever code they put in. Oh, and c) over-the-top Big Brother; I mean,
there's oversight, and there's this: if there's this mistrust of the
employees, then perhaps management should either hire trustworthy
employees, or only allow trusted employees to work on the systems.

          mark, *not* a fan of the idea.