fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open /dev/datavg/optOracle

grim76 grim76 at grim76.net
Wed Aug 31 13:41:18 UTC 2011

On 08/31/2011 06:01 AM, unix syzadmin wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We have a RHEL5.6 x86_64 server that throws the following error while
> booting:
>
> fsck.ext3: No such file or directory while trying to open
> /dev/datavg/optOracle
> /dev/datavg/optOracle:
> The superblock could not be read or does not describe a correct ext2
> filesystem.  If the device is valid and it really contains an ext2
> filesystem (and not swap or ufs or something else), then the superblock is
> corrupt, and you might try running e2fsck with an alternate superblock:
> e2ffsck -b 8193 <device>
>
> Before restarting the server we got a LUN from EMC allocated to this server.
> We use powerpath and used the "powermt config" to detect the LUN.
> We put the LUN to use through  regular lvm commands like pvcreate, vgcreate,
> lvcreate, mkfs.ext3, mount etc.
>
> Please suggest / point me in the right direction.
>
> Thanks,

You might want to look at lvm.conf.  Typically lvm looks at /dev/sda,
/dev/sdb and so on.  What you will likely want it to do is look at the
multipath device vs. the individual device.

Just remember to test your changes prior to any reboot.  Otherwise your
change could knock off another lvm device on the system.