Is the default red hat 5.4 NFS server multithreaded?

Ken Rossman wkrossman at gmail.com
Wed Feb 9 22:48:07 UTC 2011

Frankly, I don't see why any NFS server should NOT be
multithreaded.  Most operating systems running NFS server
processes end up running more than one of them, to handle
multiple parallel incoming requests.

And being that processor technology is moving in the direction of
multi-core multi-threaded processors as the norm (hence those
processors won't end up costing much more than simpler ones as
time goes on), it's just not worth worrying about to my mind...

Also, keep in mind that the average linux(unix) type system is
running lots of processes in parallel to support the general
operation of the machine, in addition to the specific set of
processes that comprise the intended service (e.g. NFS servers).

Ken