Grub in RHEL6 with RAID1?

Philip Juels juels at photodiagnostic.com
Thu Jan 6 14:45:36 UTC 2011

I ran into this same problem with the initial beta release of RHEL6 (as well
as F13).  In my case (I was using kickstart), I found that it was caused by
the fact that mdadm automatically sets the metadata option to something
other than 0.90 (I think 1.1).   Grub won't install to a mirror device not
set to 0.90.  Under kickstart, I created a /boot mirror which for some
reason gets set to the correct 0.90 value and so grub installs properly.
 Below is my original post to the list and the subsequent response.  You can
see that it is a known bug.

--PJ

Anyone know how to pass the "--metadata=0.90" option when creating RAID
mirrors in kickstart?

THX,

--PJ
Denise Dumas to Red
show details 6/22/10
>From the engineer:  there is no way to specify
--metadata=0.90 from kickstart, as anaconda will do that
automatically for an mdraid set holding /boot.

Note we had a bug, which I think is present in the beta, where
this did not work when using / on mdraid without a separate /boot

Denise

 Reply to all
Philip Juels to ddumas, Red
show details 6/22/10
Okay, just got it to work with a separate /boot "device" (/dev/md0).

THX,

--PJ