Multiple IP bindings on bonded network interface

Monty wig montywig at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 16:56:14 UTC 2011

I have kind of similar issue. I am trying to assign multiple IP address to a
machine with a single NIC and I did follow the instructions from RH. Below
are my network files from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts...

ifcfg-eth0
============
DEVICE=eth0
NM_CONTROLLED=yes
ONBOOT=yes
HWADDR=00:1C:25:70:06:89
TYPE=Ethernet
BOOTPROTO=none
DEFROUTE=yes
PEERDNS=no
IPADDR=192.168.1.103
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
PEERROUTES=yes
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NAME="System eth0"
USERCTL=no

ifcfg-eth0:1
==============
DEVICE=eth0:1
ONPARENT=yes
BOOTPROTO=static
IPADDR=192.168.1.119
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
TYPE=Ethernet
IPV6INIT=no
USERCTL=no

Now when I try to bring up the NIC using "ifup eth0:1" - It brings eth0:1 up
but brings down eth0. Basically it brings only one of them at a time and no
matter which IP is up, "ip addr show" output shows only eth0 even if IP of
eth0:1 is up!! I am on RH6...Has anyone seen this behavior?

Thanks
Monty