Multiple IP bindings on bonded network interface

Romeo Theriault romeotheriault at gmail.com
Tue Mar 1 19:08:08 UTC 2011

On Wed, Mar 2, 2011 at 1:56 AM, Monty wig <montywig at gmail.com> wrote:
> I have kind of similar issue. I am trying to assign multiple IP address to a
> machine with a single NIC and I did follow the instructions from RH. Below
> are my network files from /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts...
>
> ifcfg-eth0
> ============
> DEVICE=eth0
> NM_CONTROLLED=yes
> ONBOOT=yes
> HWADDR=00:1C:25:70:06:89
> TYPE=Ethernet
> BOOTPROTO=none
> DEFROUTE=yes
> PEERDNS=no
> IPADDR=192.168.1.103
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> PEERROUTES=yes
> IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
> IPV6INIT=no
> NAME="System eth0"
> USERCTL=no
>

> ifcfg-eth0:1
> ==============
> DEVICE=eth0:1
> ONPARENT=yes
> BOOTPROTO=static
> IPADDR=192.168.1.119
> NETMASK=255.255.255.0
> TYPE=Ethernet
> IPV6INIT=no
> USERCTL=no
>
> Now when I try to bring up the NIC using "ifup eth0:1" - It brings eth0:1 up
> but brings down eth0. Basically it brings only one of them at a time and no
> matter which IP is up, "ip addr show" output shows only eth0 even if IP of
> eth0:1 is up!! I am on RH6...Has anyone seen this behavior?

Here is what I have on a RHEL5 system with no issues:

ifcfg-eth0:0:

DEVICE=eth0:0
BOOTPROTO=static
ONBOOT=yes
IPADDR=130.111.16.171
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=130.111.16.0
NAME=eth0:0

You might want to get rid of your "TYPE" entry on the alias interface
as well as the IPV6INIT and USERCTL. They get inherited from the
parent interface. I'd start your alias interface at eth0:0 too.

Let us know if that helps.

Romeo