After installation RHEL 6 stop at GRUB prompt

Rafa Griman rafagriman at gmail.com
Mon Mar 7 08:43:40 UTC 2011

Hi Ivan :)

On Mon, Mar 7, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Liaw Ivan <ivanliaw at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I'm encountered a problem with install RHEL 6 on my old box ( 2006 ). As subject
> described, it stucks at GRUB prompt. I had tried root (hd0, 0) and (hdX, X) under
> GRUB prompt but the reply is Error 21: Selected disk does not exist. And I had
> tried to install boot loader in first sector of hard drive. But the result is still the
> same. Could anyone tell me how to fix this problem? BTW, this box has the
> same problem with Fedora 14 but it works fine with RHEL 5.5.

You don't give any info on your partitions and/or HDD (SCSI, ATA, ...)
so it's going to be difficult to help. IMHO, it's a wrong "setup"
command during grub installation or you changed some drive after
installation (GRUB can't find the menu.lst file).

Some tips:
   - (hd0,0) is equivalent to /dev/sda1 partition
   - (hd0) is equivalent to /dev/sda disk
   - you can modify your menu.lst entries at the GRUB prompt by
pressing "e". Maybe you got the wrong (hdX,Y).
   - you can boot with a CD/DVD/USB, then chroot into your / and reinstall GRUB.

HTH

   Rafa